Reading time: <5 minutes
Customers not buying from you?
You’re not alone.
Thousands of info product creators, marketers, coaches and wantrapreneurs are trying to get customers to buy their stuff, all day every day.
Some of them are selling modern-day snake oil.
So how exactly does a customer know whether you’re the world’s best <insert your thing here>, or the world’s best purveyor snake oil?
In the small window that you get to make your case, using genuine social proof helps customers see immediately that you have the authority and are worthy of their trust and attention.
Trust is the key to making more sales.
Every Transaction is Based on Trust – Seth Godin
So What is Social Proof and Why Does it Matter?
Social Proof is a now well-studied phenomenon that humans look to each other’s behaviour for an indication of what is acceptable, reasonable or expected.
It’s powerful. If your customers can see that others have bought into you, your product or your service it lowers the barriers in their mind towards making a sale.
Think about how ingrained social proof has become in almost all aspects of physical sales and services online:
When you’re looking at a book on Amazon, do you read the reviews?
When you’re deciding on whether to watch a movie, is your choice influenced by what your friends have said, or what you read on a review site?
When you buy something through eBay, how much of an impact does the seller’s rating history have?
When you book accommodation through AirBNB, would you make a booking without reviewing the ratings first?
This list could go on and on, but you get the picture.
Seeking out social proof to help validate that they are making the right decision is now an ingrained part of many online buyer’s buying habits.
How Much Can Social Proof Help Sales?
So let’s take a look at what some assessments from the world of physical sales and local business marketing have to say.
These industries are both very mature in terms of the use of genuine social proof and provide some good cues as to the benefits available
The stats vary in terms of uplift or conversion increase, but here’s the important thing.
Most importantly, they all talk to an increase in sales:
- 79% of consumers prefer to review product and seller ratings prior to making a buying decision according to BrightLocal, Mintel puts this figure at 70%.
- 88% of consumers trust an online review as much as they trust a personal recommendation according to Brightlocal, Nielsen put this at nearly 70%.
- 90% of consumer who read online reviews were influenced by the reviews in their buying decision according to Dimensional Research
- Consumer reviews are trusted 12 times more than descriptions from producers according to eMarketer.
They are compelling figures, and consistent finding. Social proof is a norm in online buyer habits, and it helps increase sales.
So As a Digital Marketer, What Are Some of Your Options?
This old chestnut. We’ve all seen them. In fact you may very well be using them now.
Testimonial blocks on your sales page with a handcrafted quote and a picture.
But there’s a problem.
Everyone uses them. Even those guys selling snake oil.
No-one knows: are they real?
In fact, it would be a reasonable predication that in an increasingly-transparent online world, consumer mistrust will only grow in anything that has no substantiation attached.
Even worse, what about the work that has to go into requesting, chasing and then crafting these testimonials to embed them. Handraulic is so last decade.
Result: Don’t waste your time. Use at your own peril.
Maybe a bit better than handcrafted testimonial, these types of plug-in on your sales page at least include comments from real people.
….Including those from people who may not have even bought the product or used your services.
Result: Not a Recommended Approach to Build a Strong Business
Automated Tool Which is Integrated with your Sales Platform
Did you know that Trusttd offers a service which:
- Integrates with your sales backend/cart/platform to automate the collection of ratings and testimonials from real, paying customers;
- Provides an embeddable certificate for your sales page which aggregates your ratings and expands to showing testimonial comments providing genuine, verified social proof to your potential customers; and
- Provides a built-in customer care process to manage any reviews which need attention.
Trusttd is a platform built specifically for digital product marketers.
Trusttd is offering a 30 day free trial for you to see for yourself how genuine social proof can help you increase sales here.